Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why Opera Rocks

Story is here.

I listen to everything from classical music to thrash metal (well, except rap and techno), but I have just never been able to grok opera. I realize what is going on technically and the dedication that is necessary to achieve a high performance level in that genre (my mom is an opera buff), but it is fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

As for Page and Perry selling themselves out, yeah, that is really sad. I personally hate American Idol and my heart just sank when Joe, who I idolized as a teenager, sat in with those frauds.

I kind of feel sorry for today's kids. They are being so ripped off. I was able to experience rock's greatest generations in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's, but outside of Marilyn Manson, nobody now even comes close to that grandeur or that kind of cultural relevance. Now thanks to Generation PTYS (Play To Your Shoes), the bands sound really mopey and dirgy (Don McLean was very prescient in a screwed up way!) and the record labels have been able to put a stranglehold again on creativity like they did in the late 1950's and the result is the sonic equivalent of Gerber's baby food. The music business now is just a bummer.

I see some really great kids playing guitar on You Tube, but they won't go anywhere because the industry won't let them. If it doesn't sound liek Avril Lavigne or Britney Spears they aren't interested.

Approved

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting. What patterns have you seen with their censorship? I find it very hard to predict what will get "approved" and what will be rejected or deleted.

How long before you are permanently banned do you suppose? or have you already been a few times?