Thursday, July 31, 2008

Internet Addiction Growing: Study

Story is here.

This article is worthless. There are no concrete figures cited, just numbers that Young has pulled out of thin air. She is also defining things people do for fun as evidence of addictive behavior, which is, to say the least, misguided. Would she rather people be passively sitting on the couch watching sitcoms all night or actually engaged with other people on gaming and social sites online?

Is the fact that I use the net for my job and then also peruse it for news and entertainment a sign of addiction or is it using a tool technological progress has blessed us with?

I admit to being addicted to stuff that interests me, including books, baseball, playing with my dogs and riffing away on my Strat and politics. I guess I better call Dr. Drew.

Approved.

No comments: